Friday, September 3, 2010

My Anti Aging Skin Treatment A.K.A. The Great Coconut Experiment

The other day, I was cleaning out the bathroom cabinet and discovered literally a garbage bag worth of half used cleansers, shampoos, conditioners, moisturizers etc. You name it I bought it in my never ending battle to stay as youthful as possible in the competitive environment of film and television.  I can guess I had a good thousand dollars bagged for the Monday morning trash pick up. I see it as a price of doing business. Besides who doesn't like to look good when they look in the mirror?

The problem is, after watching the documentary "Food Inc." I have been overly aware of how much consumer manipulation is involved in the selling of products in just about every industry.  As I stood in my bathroom I thought, if they don't mind manipulating the foods we eat, what corporation would think twice about scamming us on our national obsession with our appearance? If I can let go of the processed food merry-go -round, why not go as natural as possible with my grooming regime?

Now, as the face is essentially one of any actor's assets or impediments, so to speak, I need to be pretty committed to getting it to represent me in the best possible manner. So, as an actor what do I need?

Flawless glowing skin
Fewer wrinkles
Less under eye puffiness
Tighter, toned skin around the cheeks and jawline.

In other words, I need to look not just good but as amazing as I can!

So, I am going to go "au naturale," that is, no more money on "store bought wonder products" and make some homemade grooming products made from nature's bounty and my two little hands.

I have always been fascinated by articles on  plants, essential oils and exotic fruits that have had amazing effects on our bodies. However, I never seriously tried them when it seemed easier to just go to the store. Well, I guess I am ready to put nature and my own creativity to the test.

How I will do this will be an interesting little adventure, but hopefully it will produce some outstanding measurable anti-aging results!

What will I need?

1. Some sort of cleanser
2. A toner
3. A facial scrub
4. A facial mask
5. A moisturizer
6. A shampoo
7. a conditioner


At the present moment I know of five ingredients that will possibly be the base of my grooming regime and thus the 7 new homemade products I have yet to create. (#8 was going to be deodorant but I think I will stick with "store bought" deodorant thank you very much!:))

The Five Magic Ingredients are:
1. Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
2. Aloe Vera (cut from my many houseplants)
3. Tea Tree Oil
4. Green Tea
5. Organic Apple Cider Vinegar  

These five guys have always held a special fascination for me. Now time to put my faith to the test!
In time I hope to be an expert on them as I will be using them internally and externally where applicable..
The leader of the group will be Coconut and Extra Virgin Coconut oil as I am making it a staple of my daily cooking. My goal to have the greatest impact possible by changing both what goes in and on my body. I will need to pick my mom's brain for some delicious recipes or simply get creative. Either way, I want the internal impact strong enough to have a visible effect upon my face and body from the inside out! Any external application from my homemade products will be a boost to the anti aging skin treatment I am undertaking but not the main source of any body transformation.
 
In my research I have found some amazing claims made regarding the healing properties of coconuts. I suppose I will have to seriously research the other four members of my team and report on them over time. However here are a few things i discovered about coconut and extra virgin coconut oil.


Benefits of Extra Virgin Coconut Oil:

  1. Coconut contains many health benefits due to its fiber, vitamins and nutritional content, it’s the oil that makes it a truly remarkable food and medicine. 
  2. Coconut oil is composed predominately of medium-chain fatty acids (MCFA), also known as medium-chain triglycerides (MCT). 
  3. MCFA do not have a negative effect on cholesterol and actually help to protect against heart disease. 
  4. MCFA help to lower the risk of both atherosclerosis and heart disease. . 
  5. Coconut oil contains high levels of antioxidants which help to protect the body from free radicals and prevent degenerative diseases and premature aging.
  6.  Coconut oil is anti-fungal, anti-viral, and anti-bacterial. It kills viruses that have a lipid (fatty) coating, such as:       
                      HIV     
                      Herpes                                                                                                             
                      Hepatitis C                                                                                                                   
                      Mononucleosis. .

     7. It also kills the bacteria that cause:                                                                            
                     Pneumonia
                     Sore Throats
                    Dental Cavities                                                                                                                  
                    Urinary tract infections                                                                                                         
                    Meningitis                                                                                                               
                    Gonorrhea                                      
                    Food Poisoning
 
      8.  It kills the fungus/yeast infections that cause:
                  Candida                                                                                                                                     
                  Athlete's Foot                                                                                                                                                Ringworm
                  Thrush           
                  Jock Itch                                                                                                                                  
                  Diaper Rash

Other Extra Virgin Coconut oil Benefits:
  1. Boosts energy levels and endurance. 
  2. Aids in Weight Loss Increases
  3. Helps prevent wrinkles.
  4. Helps in treating various skin problems including psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema and other skin infections
  5. It is rich in lauric acid, which is known for being antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal, and contains no trans fat
  6. Helps in improving the digestive system and absorption of fat soluble vitamins, minerals and amino acids thus prevents various stomach and digestion related problems including irritable bowel syndrome.
  7. Is one of the best natural nutrients for hair. It promotes healthy hair providing it with a shiny complexion.
  8. Regular massage of the scalp with coconut oil ensures that it is free of dandruff, lice, and lice eggs, even if your scalp is dry.
  9. It acts as an excellent shampoo or conditioner and helps in the re-growth of damaged hair.
  10. It also provides the essential proteins required for nourishing damaged hair.
  11. It acts as an effective moisturizer on all types of skins including dry skin.
  12. It is anti-inflamatory: useful as a salve to speed healing of bruises, strains, and sore muscles.
  13. Strengthens a sluggish Thyroid, Liver and Kidney.

In time, I hope to see some dramatic results. However, I am patient and not looking for overnight miracles but long-term internal healing that will show my improved health from my glowing skin to my viseral fat free stomach- allowing my six pack to look like a six pack and not one big kegger!

When all is said and done, I know that this adventure will not only assist me in getting into optimum health but it will be one of the best investments I can make in my acting career.


1 comments:

Charles said...

Well, virgin coconut oil is becoming one of the essentials for a natural beauty regimen because of its therapeutic benefits. It's like having a beauty kit and first-aid kit in one bottle, as not only is it good for the skin, it’s also good for overall health as well.


Charles Cage

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails