Friday, April 23, 2010

Inspiration from Unlikely Places

Hey, folks! I hope life is all you want it to be! If not, it is never too late to make a change. I am facing life and its many challenges head on with as much HOPE and OPTIMISM as possible, trusting the Universe will guide me on my "leap of faith" journey. Hold a good thought for me.

Along my hero's journey, I found inspiration from the unlikeliest of places... a email chain letter. Actually, it was sent by a friend with beautiful pics and mantras from the Dalai Lama that I found inspiring and feel the urge to share with you all. They really spoke to me and where I am in my life, which is why I guess I was open to hearing them at this time.

"Take into account that GREAT LOVE and GREAT ACHIEVEMENT involve GREAT RISK."

Wow, in both areas, I see, in retrospect, how true this is. I think for myself the challenge is to make this a present reality in my journey from now on.

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson..."

Here is where I am starting to make some progress. It takes some real perspective changing on my part to move from sinking into depression over a loss as opposed to asking myself what is the lesson to be learned from this situation, but I am progressing on this front with great benefit from the endeavor.

"Follow the three R's: Respect for Self,  Respect for Others and  Responsibility for All your Actions."

This has been my most current revelation lately. I am discovering as I really examine my actions, just how much I have been operating out of a lack of respect for myself and lack of willingness to take responsibility for ALL of my actions. Sometimes it is just too easy to want to blame someone else but taking responsibility is what has allowed me to see how certain actions came from that place of  lack of respect for self, giving me an opportunity to make better choices as I move forward.

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck."

I recently pulled out an old Garth Brooks cd that was a favorite of my late partner Johnny. Man, it is amazing how music has the power to evoke emotions and take you vividly back  times in your life that you associate with a song.  Anyway, there is a song called "Unanswered Prayers" that dramatizes this sentiment quite poetically. Check it out. (Found this clip on YouTube. The only one I could find with Garth Brooks singing and not one of his many fans paying tribute.)




"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly."


"Don't let a little dispute injure a great relationship."

I have embraced this one completely. Sometimes a dispute can seem so life changingly important at the time, but in the end, if you really care about the person more than your need to be "right", you'll be able to agree to disagree and value what matters most. Not always easy to do.

"When you realize you've made  mistake, take immediate steps to correct it."

This took some maturity on my part but now it feels like the only way to be able to move forward without getting bogged with regrets.

"Spend some time alone everyday."

I had to realize that this means turning off the television as company and spend some time with my own thoughts. It has been a revelation how peaceful and productive life can be with less television and more quiet time.

"Open your arms to change, but don't give up your values."

Boy, has this been the lesson of all lessons for me when it comes to relationships.  I discovered a while back that I often, unconsciously trnasformed myself into the person I thought my partner wanted in the self-delusion of being open to change rather than being myself. Eventually who I really was woke up and said "What the hell are you doing? Be yourself!

"Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer."

"..."

"Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and look back, you'll enjoy it a second time."

Everyone has regrets, I suppose. I hope to incorporate this into my consciousness more and more. I think I am a good person yet as I take more responsibility for my actions I see that it is all a growth process and a shedding of self-delusion of what rationalizations we create to see ourselves as justified by our sometimes questionable actions. Even if they are only questionable in our own minds, it is better to live as free of rationalization as possible.

"A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life."

I woke up last week with an urge to set up a "space" for mediation  I drove to Target and found a beautiful little dark wooden end table and inspirational plaques. I set it up in my living room. Suddenly I noticed just how bare and functional my living room appeared.   Later I went to Ikea and bought a coffee table and side table that matched my meditation area. Suddenly after many many years in my apartment, my apartment felt like my home with a warmth and comfort I always felt was missing. Now I am ready to continue the transformation with a new paint job.

"In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. Don't bring up the past."


"Share your knowledge. It is a way of achieving immortality."

This is the joy I get from coaching other actors. Regardless of where my career is currently, there is something fun and rewarding in sharing my knowledge of the subject i am most passionate about.

"Be gentle with the Earth."

Everyone is going GREEN these days. I often find the gentler I am with myself the more natural it is to be gentle with the Earth.

"Once a year, go some place you've never been before."

This is one I look forward to incorporating. I use to think it had to be someplace grand. While I still want to see Paris sometime next year, I realized, Hey, I live in Los Angeles!! There are so many places I have yet to explore!  Adventure is available anywhere.

"Remember the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other."

Love has often been mistaken for need.  Again for myself, learning to love and respect myself more is the key to unlocking so much opportunitie for growth. The more I am okay with myself the less I need approval or love from others. Hence, the love I do receive is appreciated for exactly what it is.

" Judge success by what you had to give up in order to get it."

Another rude awakening came up for me regarding this one. I have come to see that my success or lack thereof has much to do with the proportion with which I am willing to give up my fear and do the work needed to be done in my day-to -day not from a place of fear but of confidence. The more I work from this "mental space" the more productive i am and less likely to waste time in tv vegetation and mindless busy-work. I am now embarking on spending more time reading up on acting techniques I was not exposed to in grad school and embracing more creative tools so I am more prepared and confident than ever before. When I was still at my old 9to5 preparing for my departure, situations manifested seemingly out of nowhere to help me in my move toward my dreams. I see now because I was working toward my goals with a focus and confidence that fed upon itself . Now I must do the same now that I am living my dream I have to actually LIVE it and stay in that place of "knowing" faith and confidence. 

"Approach love and cooking with abandon."

I am jumping of the edge here and letting the Universe catch me!! I have forgotten what is like to love with abandon but with a little Garth Brooks and blind faith, the memory with come back and hopefully a new love as well.

3 comments:

Meg said...

one of my best read for today!inspiring. God bless.

A More Interesting Life said...

Thanks, I appreciate that!

Anonymous said...

Love this post! (A belated birthday present it seems as you posted it on my BD...LOL) And enjoying your site! Thanks for the lift tonight!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails