Friday, January 29, 2010

Enjoying My Juicer

It has been five days and I have been walking along the beach of the Isle of Vegan, slowly making my way inland. Isn't it funny how when you make a decision life opens your eyes to subject you are focusing on. This week the Oprah show had an hour dedicated to being more conscious of what you are eating. They covered The Kindness Diet, a Vegan cookbook by Alicia Silverstone. They also encouraged folks to checkout the film Food Inc., a documentary that looks at how our food is actually prepared as opposed to the image of the farm that is apparently not the reality but an image projected by the food industry to sell their products.

For myself, I have started my research into vegan and vegetarian options without completely giving up chicken or fish. I have officially dropped red meat from my diet. I want to be smart and not treat this like a fad.  I have dusted off my juicer and started doing a lot of juicing and feeling great at the moment. I also went to Trader Joe's  where I stocked up on some vegan meat replacements that I have tried and enjoyed. Here's the thing, I bought a lot of salmon and tilapia a few weeks ago and ziplocked into my freezer. The plan is to slowly work though the remaining fish and have fun finding delicious replacements I can enjoy regularly. I think my consistent juicing will be my secret weapon as I am feeling the energy already from the juicing i have done so far  and that is making the transition easier. While I am making the shift, I might as well officially drop sodas from my list of permissable beverages. The fact is there really is no nutritional value to it and the convenience factor is just not worth it.

I just realized that there is something to simply being more conscious about what I am eating.   When I take a moment to think do I really want to eat that, then the choice is easier. Eating junk food with no nutritional value seems absurd just because it is convenient.

For now, I will enjoy my Carrot-Beet-Kale-Apple-Celery juice concoction.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails