Saturday, November 7, 2009

Another Eye Opener

This whole idea of being conscious of where you direct your thoughts and how you are feeling at any given moment is a very interesting concept to live by.

Yesterday, I got a call from my manager informing me of an audition set for Monday for an upcoming pilot. Almost instantaneously, I was aware of a flush of nervous energy sweep through my body. I couldn't tell you if this is something I always did but I was aware this time and it threw me for a loop.  After I got off the phone, I asked myself, what was that about? Instead of excitement at an upcoming audition, I went negative. Why? I immediately decided to reach for a better feeling emotion. I realized that if I have any chance of performing well at the audition, I needed to change my frame of mind right away.

Without focusing on the upcoming audition at all, I chose to put on some music I loved, and watch a few of the youtube clips of Abraham-Hicks which have always been able to put me into a positive frame of mind. Soon, I started to let go of my unexpected nerves and started to laugh and smile and feel good. Shortly, I was able to remember that I have been meditating, putting my focus daily on ways to improve as an actor and hoping to attract auditions for roles that were right for me.

As if a light bulb went off in my head, I thought why go to nervousness about this audition when it makes more sense to take on an attitude of gratitude that Source was sending me what I requested? In no time, it became easier to move to being hopeful about what lay ahead.

Gradually, I could see that like my changed view of my acting class, I had a wonderful new opportunity to change my view of auditions as well. Instead of succeed  or fail, I can look at this as an opportunity to do what I love... act. Instead of nervousness, I actually felt confident that I could find interesting acting choices I can make with whatever the scene will be. And my focus doesn't have to be about getting the job but about giving an interesting performance. The reality is, my performance is all that is within my power to control. In the end, by placing my focus on the joy of the work, I am automatically improving my odds of success. Focusing on stopping my unexpected nerves will only lead to a weaker performance.    

So, this upcoming audition, however it goes, will be a fun new adventure for me. If it isn't fun, then what's the point? I want my life to be about fun, expansion and joy in every aspect of my life, especially my career.   

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails