Saturday, October 17, 2009

26.2 Miles Toward A Brand New Me!

So, as the adventure of my new life gets underway, I decided to christen it with a nice long run through Los Angeles. What better way to do that then to sign up for the 2010 L.A. Marathon? Yes, on March 21, 2010 I will be joining the masses from around the world who will be converging on Dodger's Stadium to trek our way to Santa Monica Beach. The course so far seems amazing. From Dodger's Staium we'll run through Hollywood, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Westwood, Brentwood, Pacific Palisades and finally make our way to the beach. What a route!

It may sound crazy but I am craving a little crazy and it is the best way I can imagine to shake off the old  baggage (both mental & physical) and get myself into shape. It also will be my incentive program for saying good-bye to years of cigarette smoking once and for all. Truth be told, that is a bigger challenge than the 26.2 miles could ever be.


In my continual journey of self-reflection, I can no longer rationalize how I can ever hope to leave my old companion, Fear, behind me if I am continually buffing away on a pack-a-day of Marboro Lights 100. I know I smoke to suppress my emotions and to get through stressful situations. The question is how can I let them go?

My answer? Run. Run. Run.


I am currently on my third week of progressive training, running a little bit everyday with longer runs on the weekend.  The smartest thing I have done so far is to talk two friends of mine into running with me on Sunday mornings through Griffith Park. They haven't committed yet to do the marathon with me but with each passing Sunday we all feel so good from the runs that it is only a matter of time before they sign up.

This Sunday will be the first week I won't be waking up at 6:00 a.m. for my Griffith Park rendez-vous. Instead, I will be walking with friends from my old 9to5 in the APLA AIDSWalk: Los Angeles Fundraiser/Walk-a-thon. So, I am not really cheating since I will be trekking my butt down Melrose Ave. and Beverly Blvd. for a good 10K sweat.

I am actually pretty excited about the whole idea of doing this marathon. Not only will I get to see the city from a different perspective, it is such a daunting task with months to plan that I can use this time to get myself into the sexy, rock hard shape I have always wanted to create for myself. YES! Dreaming big is the only way to go! Amazingly enough, I have enjoyed running so much so far that I have started to smoke less and get my butt to the gym on a regular basis. Trust me this has been no small feat, as I have had a natural aversion to weight-lifting in the past. However, it is a new day and working out is actually something I am growing to love! 

The sexy, confident new me is slowly taking shape!



March 21st is the goal! Keep a good thought for me!
       

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails