Saturday, October 17, 2009

Life's Illusions...

I love music. But I must confess I never was one of those people who got into knowing the artist involved or listening to the words and allowing it to touch me. I mean occaisionally that happens but usually I get into the rhythm and allowing it to take me on the journey my body wants to go on.

One of my new pathways to adventure is to do just that, find an artist or a song and just listen to what the artist is trying to say and what it is saying to me. I have come to realize that music can, like seeing a really good play or film, speak to you over time, as you grow and the artist grows. I had that experience with the song below. "Both Sides Now" sung by Joni Mitchell. I confess, I have heard of the woman but I know nothing about her at all. I know she is an icon but never bothered to discover why.

So, a friend sent me a youtube clip of her singing this song at a concert in 2000. The song really affected me. I later went on youtube and found a clip of Joni Mitchell singing this same song back in the early 60's.  I immediately could hear the growth she has made as an artist and whatever life experience she brought to her 2000 interpretation spoke to a deeper part of me than I expected.  Check out this version from 2000 and see if it speaks to you.  


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails