Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Countdown Has Begun...

I just got back from my first trip to Dodger's Stadium. YAY!! I worked my way through the crowd of thousands at the LA Marathon's Run EX 10 Expo held just outside of Dodger's Stadium in the parking area. Okay so, technically I will maybe get inside the stadium for the first time tomorrow morning but who cares.

It was all good fun despite the total chaos. Never one for crowds, it was, I must admit, "awkward as ass" to work my way to the bloody Sport's Chalet tent to get my bib, t-shirt and goodie bag.

As much as I would have loved to wander around aimlessly for hours looking at all of the high-priced running products, I got a last minute call to coach an actor for an audition he has on Monday for a movie. Lord knows, I am apt to be a bit too wonkie Sunday in the hours after the marathon to coach anyone! So, I walked my way back to the Metro Redline Civic Center subway stop and got back to my car which I conveniently parked at the Lankershim Station lot near Universal Studios.

Why, do you ask, did I not just drive to Dodger's Stadium to pick up my stuff instead of do the public transpo shuffle? Well, I am an eastcoaster at heart, first generation American, born and bred in the City of Brotherly Love, Philadelphia, PA!! I just can't help myself. I love Los Angeles but if I can get somewhere by public transit I feel FREE and in touch with what is going on around me. Besides, I just do not enjoy driving in Los Angeles.

Aside from all this, it was a nice test run for tomorrow. There is no parking allowed at Dodger's Stadium tomorrow and the finish line is literally on the other end of town. My bright idea is to park by Universal Studios, take the Redline train and walk the 2.5 miles from the Civic Center station to the starting line. When I finish the marathon at Santa Monica Beach Pier, I will either get a ride with a friend who will be cheering me on to the finish or I will grab a bus back to my car. There is something carefree and easy about being able to get around whether I have a car or not in a town ruled by drivers who panic at the first sign of rain! haha! A light drizzle is like a bloody snow storm to folks out here... but I digress.

All in all, I got a good sense of what the road is like at the start of the race by walking to the stadium and BOY, is it gonna be hilly! I am still however, very excited! When I finish with my 3 pm coaching gig, I will start prepping for tomorrow and get to bed as early as possible. Wish me luck folks!! 26.2 miles, here I come!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails