Thursday, March 18, 2010

Know Your Food

I just finished watching the documentary called Food, Inc. I would encourage everyone to get a copy and check it out for yourself. It will definitely force you to stop and question can you eat that beef, pork, chicken, genetically modified food product, etc. when you know what goes into making it that way?

I am actually more shocked than I imagined. What I thought would be the scariest part, the manner in which certain animnals are industrially raised in order to meet the needs of our get it quick consumer society, is but a morsel of the cornacopia of frightening facts I was totally unaware existed.

I feel like I must clean out my refrigerator and freezer and start from scratch! I am going to investigate what it really means to go organic and what alternatives I have aside from shopping at Whole Foods. I think I may have as much of a challenge with withdrawal as my body purges its addictions to all of these food-like inventions and fillers as I have with nicotine withdrawal. It may not be directly similar but I know a mental battle is inevitable.

Food, Inc. started me seriously thinking about things I never knew and now I need to figure out how do I proceed> How do I regain a sincere craving for organic healthy foods?

The fact still remains, I LOVE FOOD. I LOVE COOKING. I don't want to live on carrot sticks and celery, so whatever comes of this mini adventure, I better find some way to eat healthier without losing the Joy of it all!

3 comments:

Glen Staples said...

I saw a documentory about chickens, it was saying how badly cheap supermarket chickens had been kept. You should only by the most carefully hand reared, corn fed free range chickens that get 30 days holiday a year, sick benefits and pensions etc.

For half an hour I agreed with them and then I thought - ah sod it they're only chickens, and headed off to buy a cheap one for my dinner. :-)

Anonymous said...

Dear A More Interesting Life,

Eating in such a way as to minimize the amounts of non-food one eats seems a noble endeavor, Sir. In Southern California, where I live, food fear runs rampant, and many people have engaged in vegetarian, vegan, or even macrobiotic diets. Well and good, fine and dandy, good for them (we suppose, and will know more definitely in a century or so).

What interests me about this trend is the lack of attention paid to intellectual junk food. What good is a healthy diet if one is addicted to television? There's no point in physical health if mental health flags, yet there are very, very, very few anti-television groups, no Association for the Adoption of Quality Controlled Cinema. There's no Committee for People's Music Access Rights.

For some strange reason, the arts are censored for what some consider negative or irreligious content, but nobody says, "Don't watch Rambo, it's not good for you," or, "Linkin Park is junkmusic, it'll rot your brain."

Anyhow, you seem an earnest author. I thought you deserved an earnest comment.

Welcome to the writing community, Sir!

Yours Truly,

-BothEyes

the dafthermits (Mel n andy and wee clan) said...

hi my friend

just popped over from RBU

great post

my thoughts are that it is not always waht is good for us as humans we must stop some time and think what we are doing to all the animals across the globe

good luck with your new blog

peace and ligth from the tin can in Scotland

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails