Friday, March 5, 2010

NO Butts, Ands or Ifs... It's All about Being Conscious

Just hung up with my 1-800-NoButts support person. I am not sure what I was expecting. Specifically, he had me write down my top three triggers for smoking:
1. Stress
2. Smoking After Eating
3. Boredom/Mindless TV Watching

From there I was asked to come up with at least 3 or 4 Strategies to use when these Triggers flair up.
This was something that may have overlap but anything that works I will use. So here are a few things I came up with:

Strategies for Stress-
1. Drink Green Tea
2. Work out at Bally's gym
3. Jog
4. Meditate or do breathing exercises

Strategies for Smoking After Eating-
1. Take a walk
2. Pick up a book and read
3. Work on Screenplay
4. Drink more water

Strategies for Smoking due to Boredom/ Mindless TV Watching-
1. Work out at gym or some form of exercise
2. Go to library
3. Study French language skills
4. Work on Screenplay

I made the commitment to make today my Quit Date so I am starting these strategies immediately.

I must confess, the support guy was nice but it felt more like talking to a telemarketer who was leading me through a questionnaire but I will give credit, the program does have a structure that is set up to make you think about how much, when and why you smoke. So despite his nice but lackluster "support style"  forcing me to think of triggers and strategies did give me tools to fall back on when in a crisis. There were no new tools but it made me realize one major thing. Quittting is, at least for me all about being more CONSCIOUS of when I am being triggered and making the CHOICE to actually work as many strategies as often as I can until I get things under control. My support guy scheduled a follow up call for Wednesday night to see how I am doing so I do appreciate having this initial accountability date so I have more motivation to reach the goal of remaining smokefree until next week!


I am gonna strive to make this a fun adventure rather than a tragedy waiting to happen. I will pick up my "hero's sword and shield" and start planning how "Medusa" is gonna lose her head! BRING IT ON!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails